Denver Children's Home restores hope and health to traumatized children and families through a comprehensive array of therapeutic, educational, and community-based services.
We care for the State's abused and neglected children. We serve a significantly challenged population. 98% of the children at DCH come from families whose income levels are below federal poverty guidelines. By the time our clients reach DCH, more than a third of them have been involved with the Juvenile Justice system, the majority has passed through the social services system, and most have failed in one or more academic and/or mental health settings.
Denver Children's Home:
The Ladies Relief Society formed Denver Orphans Home in 1876 in order to take care of the orphans being brought in to build railroads and work in the mines of Colorado. In 1881, Margaret Evans, wife of former territorial Gov. John Evans, realized that Colorado needed a facility for the thousands of poorly housed or homeless children. This realization led Evans to open the Denver Orphans Home (renamed the Denver Children’s Home in 1962) with the help of Elizabeth Iliff Warren, Alice Foster Sanger (wife of Walter Cheesman), Mary Estabrook (wife of Charles Kountze), Frances (Fannie) A. Moffat (wife of David Moffat), Anna L. Clough (wife of Chester Morey), Eliza Routt (wife of John Routt), and the wives of Charles Berger, William Clayton, Fred Solomon and other women.
In 1883, the first residence was built. It was two-stories on a half-block site at 1600 Race Street. Within days, 40 children filled the Denver Orphans Home. By 1889, 1,128 children considered Denver Orphans Home their home.In 1902, the home moved to its current location at 1501 Albion Street. It is a 50-room complex, designed by prominent Denver architects Willis A. Marean and Albert J. Norton. The building's interior looks the same as the day it was built in 1902.