Relief Youth Treatment Counselor
The relief position is an on call position to fill open shifts (Daytime, Afternoon, Evening and Overnight) for vacation and call offs; there are no set or guaranteed hours.
The Relief Youth Treatment Counselor is responsible for assisting in the coordination of Residential, Day Treatment, Education, and Community Based services; and providing professional treatment and care to clients. The position provides Trauma Informed quality youth care, a safe environment, and close intensive supervision of adolescent clients in any of DCH’s programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND/OR RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work in various departments as assigned by the TS when scheduling.
- Actively supervise, facilitate, and interact with residents in daily activities according to structured daily schedule.
- Supervise off-grounds activities.
- Implement the Level System and disciplinary guidelines.
- Administer medication and complete required documentation.
- Assist with orienting/training new staff when assigned by the TS.
- Communicate and coordinate with all appropriate staff during shift changes.
- Complete required documentation such as CIRs, school reports, and group notes.
- Ensure basic needs of youth are being met daily, including physical and emotional.
- Ensure environment is clean and well maintained by role modeling such behaviors.
- Instruct youth on daily living skills including chores and personal hygiene.
- Intervene in crisis, utilizing approved crisis intervention strategies.
- Intervene with youth in milieu as needed to encourage healthy, adaptive behavior.
- Provide input on dorm procedures and all resident issues, including service delivery.
- Provide academic assistance to residents as needed.
- Transport clients as needed.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· Possess a four year degree (In the areas of Human Services, Social Work, Psychology, Criminal Justice or other related field preferred).
· Demonstrate subject matter competency by:
o Passing a formal state or local assessment (WorkKeys Assessment) measuring one’s knowledge of and ability to assist classroom teachers in reading, writing and mathematics and at least one year’s experience in the human services field.
· Must be at least 21 years of age.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES:
· Ability to pass a physical examination.
· Ability to pass background check with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.
· Ability to pass background check with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
· Ability to gain clearance through the Colorado Central Registry of Child Abuse and neglect (TRAILS).
· Have or obtain First Aid and CPR certification.
· Have or obtain QMAP certification.
· Have or obtain certification in TCI.
· Be a Qualified Driver as defined by the DCH Automobile Insurance Policy and complete DCH Van Training to become transport eligible.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and university, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 20 pounds.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative level of the types of duties and responsibilities required of the position. This shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of all responsibilities. Employee may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically outlined in this job description.